Friday, January 2, 2015

Into the Darkness, Book 1 & Into the Light, Book 2 -- Kat T. Masen

What began as an affair seven years earlier has since become a tragic love story, a tale of two souls fighting to be together with only their love to guide them. But as people make mistakes, they find themselves once again reliving the past, asking the questions that have remained unanswered. Until now.
Charlie Mason fought hard to rebuild her life and find love again. When the ever-so-perfect Julian Baker proposes marriage, she leaves the past behind her to plan a future with him. Then, in a cruel twist of fate, her past and future collide. Broken and scarred, Charlie is forced to face him once again, the dark angel who took the one thing she had been holding on to—her fragile heart.

Lex Edwards has other ideas. He wants her back and will stop at nothing, even when he realizes the Charlie he knew in high school has changed. She is a game player, and forgiveness is not on her agenda. A dark past threatens their future and the only way to overcome it is to relive the memories. Lex must take her back into the darkness.

He was the Dark Angel. He came and stole what she had desperately tried to hold onto: her heart. Charlie Mason thought she knew better until her insecurities overruled and she again believed he broke her.

In a bid to finally find their happily ever after, Lex and Charlie find themselves on a journey of learning how to love again. They began a new future to move forward from a broken past, but life is never so easy. When you finally have the one thing you’ve always wanted, what do you do when that place of darkness finds its way back, shattering everything you fought so hard to have?

This is the final story of Lex and Charlie, two souls that were brought back together in a twist of fate. An eternal love that has been through every storm, dragged into the dark abyss without a chance of climbing out, but through all the battles they find themselves in a place they call home, away from the darkness and away from the fear. With a glimmer of hope, they look directly into the light.
 



I'm doing a double review because....well...because I can! LOL

So, lets start off with book 1, Into the Darkness....

Loved it! Absolutely loved it. Thought it was so great and I couldn't put it down! All the characters are so funny and easy to read and like. Lex is an amazing man and sounds so delicious!

Like some authors that I've read and enjoyed in the past, Kat T. Masen writes as a different character for each chapter. Sticking with only Charlie and Lex as the 'voice' each chapter. However, the only thing I didn't enjoy was that each chapter was basically the same chapter as the previous just from the others point of view! So one chapter we get what's happening on Charlie's end, and then repeat it in the next chapter as Lex. Luckily it's not always entirely exactly the same. But I have to admit, it got old really quick re-living the same time frame in someone else's view.

Over all, I loved the finding the lost love of your life scenario! I loved how they originally hooked up even though most people frown on it. One of my favorite lines from this book (which is my Quote From the Book for this one) is when Lex tells Charlie that he would have no problem leaving his wife, not if something better came along, but something right. Oh, I swoon every time! Love it!

Now, onto book 2, Into the Light....

I wish I could jump for joy and say I loved this as much as the first book.

But it just wouldn't be true.

Not only do we continue with the repeating chapters and back and forth on who's point of view we hear from, but we also add a chapter via Nikki and Eric in their point of views as well. For why? I haven't a clue.

After the first half of the book, I would have gladly stopped and been pretty pleased with the outcome. Having finally found out more about what really happened before Charlie went off to college and how broken she was (which was an amazing part of the book by the way!).  But I honestly didn't feel the last half of the book had any reason for being.

Overall on the Dark Angel series (to date), I was very pleased I read it! Like I said, I really really enjoyed book 1, and was a little disappointed in book 2...but I still love and adore all characters involved.

Book 1



Book 2