Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A Kiss of Shadows By: Laurell K. Hamilton

~*~Book Description~*~
My name is Meredith Gentry, but of course it's not my real name. I dare not even whisper my true name after dark for fear that one hushed word will travel over the night winds to the soft ear of my aunt, the Queen of Air and Darkness. She wants me dead. I don't even know why...

I fled the high court of Faerie three years ago and have been in hiding ever since. As Merry Gentry, I am a private investigator for the Grey Detective Agency: Supernatural Problems, Magical Solutions. My magical skills, scorned at the courts of Faerie, are valued in the human world. Even by human standards, my magic isn't flashy, which is fine by me. Flashy attracts attention and I can't afford that.

Rumour has it that I am dead. Not quite. I am Princess Meredith NicEssus. To speak that name after dark is to call down a knock upon your door from a hand that can kill you with a touch. I have been careful, but not careful enough. The shadows have found me, and they are going to take me back home, one way or another.

So the running is over. But the fighting has just begun...


~*~My Review~*~

I finally picked up the first book in the Merry Gentry series! Man, I feel like I've been putting it off for SO long!

I recently was at J.R. Ward's book signing for 'The King' and I met few great people there. Not only did we talk and discuss all things J.R. Ward, but we really talked up Laurell K. Hamilton as well! I admitted that I hadn't yet read the Merry Gentry series and you should have seen the looks I was given! Eeps...so I got with the program and just finished reading A Kiss of Shadows.


I knew this was going to be a great read, primarily because I absolutely love Laurell K. Hamilton. I love her books, I love her Facebook updates, and I just love her mind!

Ok, so here is my breakdown!

Merry has been on the run for three years. She's a mere mortal in the world of the sidhe though she recently has come into her own powers. With many people trying trying to kill her because of her half human blood, she decided to try and run away from her royalty titles and future.

Three years, that really is a blink of an eye in the immortal world. But that's just how long she lasted before she was finally found.

After heading back to the faerie world, Merry has realized that the queen wants something from her, and surprisingly it's not her death! She finally meets up with her aunt, the queen, after many attempts to thwart the rendezvous, and she is taken aback at what it is exactly the queen is requesting of Merry.

Sex and humor are not missing in this fantastic read! I love all the characters we've met and I can't wait to read on! If the Anita Blake series was anything to go by, then these books are just going to get better and better!